37 posts tagged snacks
I’m not going to lie, I feel pretty proud of myself whenever I pack snacks for the day. It’s such a small thing but it makes me really pleased that I planned ahead! Also, I really look forward to those snacks alllllll day.
Today’s snack menu: 0% Greek yogurt with 2 teaspoons honey and a sliced granny smith apple. Yum!
Today at lunch I grabbed an apple to bring to my office for an afternoon snack. (Excellent decision!) I was looking forward to that dang apple all afternoon! But when I bit into it, it was funky. :-( Mushy and tasted funny. Not cool.
So what do I do instead? Visit the coffee shop in my building and buy myself a tall skinny latte. Good decision, Alexis. But then I see they have cupcakes. So I buy one. Decent decision, since I will track it and I have the points available. The final straw? The cupcakes were buy one get one free since it was after two pm. The bad decision here is that I didn’t say no to the free cupcake. I could have just said no, but instead I walked away with two delicious gourmet cupcakes and one latte.
I already ate the first cupcake (hence only having a photo of one of the cupcakes) and I haven’t decided if I’m going to eat the second one. I still have the points (I wasn’t feeling well this morning and skipped breakfast) but I know I don’t NEED two cupcakes in one day. I could give the cupcake away. Or even throw it away.
The moral of the story here? I need to keep healthy snacks on hand at work! I’m waiting anxiously for my next Graze box to arrive to help solve this very problem!
EDIT: I gave it away! That is a win for today in my books!
Have you guys heard about this genius company yet? If not, please let me introduce you to Graze!
Long story, very short, Graze delivers boxes of four healthy snacks every other week or once a month. I started with once a month and then quickly moved to twice a month because it’s so awesome!
They have two options of boxes, Nibble boxes or Calorie Counter boxes. I went with the Calorie Counter which guarantees snacks with less that 150 calories. While they only offer 50 options for the calorie counter versus the 90 available to the nibble boxes, I much prefer the lower point options.
As you can see, I straight away calculated the Weight Watchers PointsPlus and marked the packages so I won’t have to look it up when I’m hungry. So far I have received two boxes and all but one snack was three points (the one other was four points).
I decided to have my boxes delivered straight to work so I wouldn’t have any excuse for not having a healthy snack option available. I’m SO glad I did this. (Also, the mail lady brings me something besides junk mail!)
One of my favorite parts is that the boxes are kind of customizable. For example, my friend signed up but she is gluten free. She was able to immediately mark all of the items containing gluten to never be sent to her. Cool! As for me, I really hate dried fruit, especially mango. So I was able to mark the ones with dried fruit to never come in my boxes. Then, after each box arrives you can rate each snack as either Trash, Try, Like or Love. I think is great that if I don’t like something, I never have to have it again!
Long story short, I’m hooked. And for only $6 a box! I’m just so happy to have fun, fresh, and interesting snacks delivered straight to my desk. It keeps my snacks from getting boring.
If you are interested in joining, I have an invitation code to hand out. I believe its still by invite only, so send me a message, either here on Tumblr or over on my Facebook page. I am more than happy to share!
EDIT: I forgot to mention that with the code you get your first and fifth box free! I love free stuff! (By using my code, I will get $1 off my next box….just FYI).
Remember a couple months ago when I first fell in love with DAVIDsTEA? Well, it is so amazing that I knew I was going to want to try more varieties. But I made a promise to myself (and told Jeremiah so he could keep me accountable) that I wouldn’t buy more until I finished what I had bought. And guess what?! I kept my promise!
So yesterday afternoon I stopped by my local DAVIDsTEA shop and had another lovely experience. The staff are so fantastic and helpful! I got to try their flavor of the day which was Pink Passionfruit (very yummy!) and then I proceeded to buy out the store! Okay….not quite, but close!
First let’s chat about the new flavors I bought:
- Assam Banaspaty - Jeremiah asked for a Golden Tip Assam, and this was the closest they had, so I hope he likes it!
- Glitter & Gold - This black tea has received rave reviews all over so I’m excited to try it. Plus there are little gold and silver sugar crystals that apparently make your tea shimmer! I love all things sparkly!
- Organic Pure Vanilla - I liked that this smelled so delicious but not overpoweringly sweet. Plus I needed some more caffeine free teas for the evenings.
- Amaretto - Oh man, this tea smells just like the drink! It is super sweet and almondy and I know I’m going to love it. And its caffeine free so it will be perfect for dessert!
- Main Squeeze - The lovely lady who helped me suggested this one and I’m really excited to try it. I think it will be a great afternoon pick-me-up minus all the calories.
- Red Velvet Cake - I think this is the one I’m most excited about. I had read about it all over the internet but the store was out the last time I was there! I was super happy to see it back in stock this time around. I can’t wait to try it!
Ok, so those are my new flavors! I bought a half ounce of all of them except for the Red Velvet, of which I bought a whole ounce. Last time I bought an ounce of each flavor and by the end I was allllllmost tired of them. Not terribly so, but I was definitely ready for a change of pace. So this time I bought half…..and that also means I will get to go back sooner for more!
In addition to the six teas, I also bought the 18 oz Steeper! I have been eyeing it for a while and decided that it would be great for making iced (or hot) tea at work. We have an electric kettle in the library (because we are librarians and true to the stereotype, we love our tea!) so we often are making tea. But sometimes (especially in the summer) I really just love iced tea.
This handy device is awesome because you just pour in hot water and the tea and let it steep. Once it is ready, you set the steeper on top of your cup and the tea magically comes out! When you lift the steeper off the cup it automatically stops. But the part I love the most is that you can make iced tea really quick and easy. Just brew half the water with twice the tea and pour over a cup full of ice. I tried it yesterday and it was AWESOME.
Double bonus, by buying the steeper I got a Summer Tea Club card that gives me 15% if I buy 4 ounces of loose tea all summer! Boom!
Last, but not least, I bought a TeaPop! I follow DAVIDsTEA on Facebook so I had seen lots of mentions of this drink and was excited to try it. Basically its super concentrated brewed tea mixed with plain soda water and ice! It was really refreshing and yummy (I had the Lime Gelato). And I definitely plan on making this at home! You can see the recipe HERE.
Ok, this turned into an epic post. I don’t know if you can tell, but I’m really excited!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Dole Banana Dippers
First, before I chat about this awesome product, I wanted to say a quick thank you for all of the lovely notes and support yesterday! You all are just so wonderful!
Now, on to the topic at hand! A friend of mine told me about these a couple months ago and I have been keeping my eye out for them ever since! I saw them once at a grocery store downtown but I wasn’t going straight home so I didn’t want to buy anything frozen and I haven’t been back to that store since then. Annnnnnyway, my neighborhood Dominick’s finally got them and I’m so glad they did! I’m even more happy that I made the decision to buy two boxes right away!
These Banana Dippers are a really great dessert or snack option. Basically they are just slices of frozen banana that has been dipped in dark chocolate. Nothing fancy but super delicious. The thing that I love most about them is that they are individually packaged. We all know I have a portion control issue so I really love the built in binge protection. I also love that each pack is only 2 PointsPlus! Not bad at all! And they totally satisfied my sweet tooth after dinner.
Word on the street According to the Dole website they also make Banana Dippers with Almonds! I definitely want to try them! The almonds add 1 extra PointsPlus for a total of 3 PointsPlus per package but I think it is probably worth it!
My Top 10 Dessert Items for Weight Watchers Success!
If you know me at all, you know that I love desserts. I wasn’t always this way. My parents never served desserts at home but once I went away to college, I was hooked.
It took a while, but during the last few years I figured out that there are good (for you) desserts and bad (for you) desserts. But have no fear! There is definitely a way to enjoy a delicious dessert that isn’t going to ruin your entire day.
I find that I enjoy something sweet at the end of the day. And recently I discovered something epic. Huge. Massive. Life changing.
Want in on the secret? Ok, I’ll share. Fruit can be a dessert!
Fruits are naturally very sweet. Since eating healthier I realized that fruit can be enough to satisfy my sweet tooth! Color me surprised! So you will see that many of the desserts that I love include fruit. Anyway, let’s get to the list!
- Fresh Fruit - I know I just said it, but fruit really is a sweet, healthy dessert. A great plum or peach is a wonderful way to end the day. And the bonus with Weight Watchers is that it is zero PointsPlus! Perfection!
- Tea - I know I posted about DAVIDsTEA last week, but it really is my new favorite dessert! I have had tea in favor of any other dessert option more times during the past two weeks than I ever have before. Again, zero PointsPlus is a win for me! And I don’t just mean DAVIDsTEA, any decaf tea is a great evening treat.
- Ice Cream - I love ice cream. Who doesn’t?! I don’t think I can be friends with you if you don’t at least likeice cream. Just kidding. Kind of. Moving on! I talked about what specific types of ice cream I like in my Top 10 Grocery Items post. I never buy full fat ice cream and I always buy individual servings to keep my portions in control. Usually my ice cream desserts come in between 2-4 PointsPlus.
- Chocolate Milk - I recently (re)discovered my love of chocolate milk. Well, I drink chocolate almond milk because I’m allergic to milk. I found that if I have one cup of chocolate milk in the evenings it totally satisfies my sweet tooth. It also really fills me up! My favorite brand is the Trader Joe’s Almond Smooth Chocolate Milk and it comes in at 3 PointsPlus per one cup.
- VitaTop - Another low PointsPlus but really filling and sweet dessert option are the VitaTops. They also make a great breakfast or snack item! My favorite dessert VitaTop is the Deep Chocolate Flavor. So yummy! I love to top it with some fat free cool whip (or similar organic brand) mixed with a tablespoon of PB2. Peanut butter + chocolate = the perfect dessert!
- Yogurt with Honey - Greek yogurt with honey is my favorite breakfast, snack or dessert item. I just love it! But really any kind of yogurt that you enjoy would work here. Greek yogurt is just my favorite. And you know those nights where you are done with dinner, low on points but still STARVING? Well Greek yogurt is perfect for those moments. Low in PointsPlus, high in protein and super filling. It is great! Fage 0% is my number one choice.
- Fried Bananas - Sometimes I really just want something decadent. But I don’t want to spend the PointsPlus. That is where "fried" bananas comes in. I discovered this recipe a couple months ago and am hooked! They are easy to make, don’t take too long to cook, and taste amazing. It is hard to believe they are only 3 PointsPlus a serving! And if I was feeling reallllly fancy (and had extra PointsPlus) I would serve them over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. YUM!
- Smoothie - Going back to those nights where you are starving after dinner that I mentioned earlier, a smoothie is a great way to fill you up for low PointsPlus and get in some fruits and/or veggies! I like to add PB2 and dark cocoa powder for a rich and delish dessert smoothie.
- Banana Wontons - This recipe is great if you have some leftover wonton wrappers (like I usually do after Emily Bite’s French Dip Cupcakes!) They are another super easy dessert that tastes really rich and decadent. I always feel like they should be way higher in PointsPlus than they actually are!
- Warm Blueberries - Just like fresh fruit is a great dessert, I also love warming up frozen fruit! I almost always have frozen fruit on hand for smoothies and my favorites are blueberries. I like to take a small bowl, warm them up and top them with cool whip! Super low in PointsPlus and it gets you a serving of fruits. A great way to end the day!
Ok! There you have my favorite dessert options! Again, these are just my personal favorites and opinions. Please feel free to share your favorite desserts in the comments below! I’m always looking for new ideas!
Add this to Pinterest HERE!
Guys. Let’s chat.
So, I have an obsessive personality. Sometimes I get obsessed with things like penny roulette. Or the history of the Titanic. Sometimes its dark chocolate. And sometimes I become obsessed with something awesome….which is what is currently going on in my life.
Hello my name is Alexis, and I am OBSESSED with DAVIDsTEA.
I had read about DAVIDsTEA (and yes, that is how it is spelled by the brand, so that is how I’m going to spell it) in quite a few places for a while now. It kept coming up so much that finally I figured I should check it out. DAVIDsTEA is a shop that sells an amazing variety of teas! Like over 100 different flavors! I had heard how awesome their dessert teas were and knew I needed to try them. And boy, I’m glad I did!
There are only three stores in Chicago (don’t worry, you can also buy them online!) and I tried to visit one of them last weekend only to get there and find out it was closed….bummer! So earlier this week I checked out a different location (the one on Armitage, for all my Chicago folks) after work.
First of all, the people that worked there were fantastic. The girl who helped me was awesome and I feel so bad that I can’t remember her name! Anyway, I told her I was new to the brand and was curious about what was available, mentioning specifically that I was interested in the dessert teas. She was a gem! I think she brought out like 15 different tins of tea, explaining what they were and letting me smell them.
Check out these AWESOME flavors:
- Birthday Cake - It legit tastes like birthday cake. It even has sprinkles in the tea! Check out the picture above.
- Forever Nuts - So yummy! This is their top seller and I can see why. Plus the tea is pink!
- Mint Chocolate Rooibos - I don’t understand how this tea can be so amazing. It tastes so decadent and rich!
- Coconut Oolong - I’m obsessed with all things coconut and this is no exception! YUM!
- Organic Cocoa Canela - This is the one that I received for free and I’m so glad I got the chance to try it! It tastes just like Mexican hot chocolate!
Ok, so I’m sure you are wondering the same thing I was wondering when I heard all about the delish flavors. How many PointsPlus?! And the super exciting wonderful answer? ZERO! Check out their FAQ page if you don’t believe me! Each cup of tea has between 0 and 5 calories! They also have less than 1 gram of sugar in each cup.
I really like that many of them are caffeine free! I love that I can have a cup of tea that tastes like cake for dessert and it won’t keep me up all night. I’ve skipped ice cream desserts three times this week in favor of a cup of tea….that is definitely a win in my book!
I can’t wait to go back to the shop and try more flavors! Yum-tastic! Have you tried DAVIDsTEA? If so, what is your favorite flavor?
Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
I didn’t have any fresh fruit in the house (I desperately need to go grocery shopping!) so I just did plain coconut without any fruit. I also didn’t want to make two servings so I cut the recipe in half.
Here is what I included in my one serving version:
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon organic honey
I then mixed the ingredients together and stored it covered in the refrigerator over night. This morning I stirred it up again and dug in!
The top left picture is of the ingredients before I mixed them together, the bottom left picture is after mixing but before refrigerating, and the right picture was this morning right before I ate it!
And the verdict? Pretty good! You really need to like coconut flavors to enjoy this and I LOVE coconut! I think it definitely needs some fruit to change up the textures a bit. The honey was a great addition as well!
It comes in at 4 PointsPlus for the entire serving! I ate it at 7a this morning with a cup of coffee and two turkey sausage links and am still full three hours later. I would say that is a good sign!
This could also be a great dessert or snack that is really filling but still satisfies a sweet tooth. I will definitely be making this recipe again!
Add this to Pinterest HERE!
A Healthier Dessert Option
I love having something sweet after dinner but try not to have ice cream very often. Yesterday’s Trader Joe’s trip gave me some new inspiration for my sweet tooth.
I saw these GORGEOUS plums and had to get them. Unfortunately they weren’t quite ripe enough yet, but they were still delish. And I also picked up two bags of the amazing coconut flakes that I’m currently obsessed with. Seriously, they are heaven.
The two together made a perfect dessert! Only 2 PointsPlus and one serving of fruit!
Look at me making healthier choices!
AKA, my new favorite snack! Guys, these are amazing! So delish! I picked up a bag during my Trader Joe’s shopping adventure the other day and I’m so glad I did. I immediately weighed and portioned them out into four snack size baggies and marked their PointsPlus values on the bag. Oh yeah, they are only 2 PointsPlus per serving! Well, the serving size on the bag was really big, so I cut it in half for a smaller portion.
You can buy them online, but the price is MUCH higher than in the stores. I think I paid about $2 for one bag, which I thought was a great price. Amazon is asking $12.50 for two bags. Not cool!
Anyway, that is my current favorite snack! What are you guys liking lately?
"Fried" Honey Bananas
So, earlier this week I saw this recipe floating around Pinterest. I immediately pinned it and knew I needed to try it ASAP. And boy am I glad I did! This yummy dessert it perfection for only 3 PointsPlus! Heck yes!
I made it the other night and it was the perfect weeknight dessert. It was warm and cozy, not to heavy, and easy to put together. From beginning to end, this probably took me 10-15 minutes TOPS.
The only thing I did different was using regular coconut oil instead of the spray (which I don’t have yet, but will be buying ASAP!). I measured out 1 teaspoon and just swished it around in the pan a bit before adding the sliced bananas. You could probably use another type of oil if you don’t keep coconut oil around, but be aware it might change the taste a bit.
The first time I made this the bananas were a bit squishy. So the second time I made it I made a few changes. First, I cut the slices a little bit thicker. And second, I cooked it on low heat instead of medium. Both times the flavor was delish, but the second time looked a lot prettier. (Hence why I didn’t show the pictures from the first time!).
Anyway, I really recommend this and plan on making it a lot! Coconut oil, bananas, honey, water and cinnamon….so simple! This would also be amaaaazing over vanilla ice cream! Obviously that would add more points, but would be good for a special occasion.
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
I saw THIS recipe over on Skinnytaste yesterday and knew I HAD to make them ASAP! And boy am I glad I did! They were so easy to make and I can’t get over the fact that I was able to make cookies for breakfast! I was able to put together the cookies in the time it took for the oven to preheat and then they cooked for 15 minutes. Can’t beat that!
The original recipe called for 2 bananas, 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal and 1/4 cup crushed walnuts. I am not a walnut fan, but Gina mentioned that substituting mini chocolate chips for the nuts kept the PointsPlus the same. SOLD! And for 1 PointsPlus a piece, I was able to have 5 for breakfast and be super full but not go overboard. I packed 4 up for a snack this afternoon and still have 8 left at home.
You could also make them gluten free with gluten free oats. I’m going to look into making them with slivered almonds or blueberries. Yum!
Seriously, super easy. Go make them right now!
Add this to Pinterest HERE!
My Top 10 Snack Items for Weight Watchers Success!
Snacking smartly is a huge part of weight loss. It is important to have a couple small snacks a day to sustain you between meals. I find that if I miss a snack I am STARVING by the time lunch or dinner comes around and I end up eating WAY more than I should. Not good at all.
So, for me, it is important to keep healthy snacks on hand. I keep a few different options at my office and at home and almost always have something in my purse. You never know when the hunger will strike! And if I have something with me, I will most likely make a better choice than if I was unprepared.
- Almonds - I find almonds to be a really great afternoon or morning snack. They are really filling and really good for you. I do have one problem with them though…..portion control. I could sit and munch on almonds by the gallon. And that is NOT healthy. So I spend a little extra money and buy them in pre-portioned packages. If I have to buy them in bulk, I will portion them out myself into little Ziploc bags (and mark the PointsPlus values with a sharpie). My favorite are the Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds. YUM-O! The Cinnamon Roast Almonds are awesome as well. The 100 calorie packs are the perfect size for a filling and chocolaty snack…for just 3PP!
- Greek Yogurt - My love of Greek yogurt is no secret. I grew up loving it and have thoroughly enjoyed trying new flavor combos now that they have become available in the US. I often have Greek yogurt for breakfast, but it also makes an awesome snack. It is packed full of protein and other good-for-you things and really keeps me feeling full until dinner. My favorite type is 0% Fage and I love to dress it up! PB2 with honey, PB&J, frozen dollops, but my personal favorite is always plain with a bit of honey.
- Beef Jerky - This is a recent favorite snack idea that I got from a fellow Weight Watcher at my meeting. It’s great when you just really need some protein to get you through the day. I like to buy it from Costco and portion it out right away. One serving of the brand I buy is 2PP. I like that it takes me a while to eat it as well!
- PB2 with Fruit - I feel like I am always singing the praises of PB2, and I promise I’m not getting any money from them! I just really and honestly love this product. I am a peanut butter fiend but can’t deal with all of the points in the “real” stuff, so PB2 is perfect for me. I keep a jar at my office and many jars at home. I love to mix up 2T with extra water to make a peanut butter dip for fruit. It is great with bananas and apples and makes for a perfect morning or afternoon snack. What is better than a 1PP snack that also gets you a serving of fruit?! Not much, I say!
- Popcorn - Popcorn can either be a really great snack or a really terrible snack. When I say I’m having a bag of popcorn for snack I NEVER mean a huge bag of movie theater buttery popcorn like this. Whenever I have popcorn these days I use a scoop of plain popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag. I spray it with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle on some salt and its SO YUMMY! This is great for the afternoon or evening while watching a movie. I keep the popcorn kernels in a jar on my kitchen window sill and it takes me less time to pour the kernels into a paper bag than it would to open a box, take out a packet, take off the plastic wrap and put it in the microwave. If you haven’t already, I would definitely recommend giving it a try….its totally worth it!
- Cheese - I. Love. Cheese. Like, a lot. But cheese is a really great snack! I almost always have individually portioned cheese of a variety of types in my fridge. Some of my favorites include: Mini Babybel lights, Trader Joe’s light string cheese, goat cheese, and Laughing Cow wedges. All of those are either 1 or 2PP per serving and make a great snack!
- Lattes/Tea - Hello, my name is Alexis, and I have a Starbucks addiction. There, I said it out loud. But it’s true, I LOVE a good latte in the afternoon. My absolute favorite drink is a grande skinny cinnamon dolce latte. YUM-O. For 3PP I get two servings of milk, delicious flavor, and a great pick-me-up. Plus, it keeps me full for a long time! Tea is another great snack that is a bit lower in points, depending on what you put in it. My favorite is English Breakfast with two Splendas and 1PP of skim milk. Again, a great afternoon pick me up and totally satisfying.
- Hummus - I have sang the praises of hummus for a while. I love it all day every day. My favorite brand is Sabra, by far. I try and buy the individual packages of the original flavor if possible. If I can’t find them I like to buy the Supremely Spicy flavor. SO GOOD! I like to dip carrots or sugar snap peas in it, bake with it, or even have it on a sandwich instead of mayo and mustard!
- Wheat Thins - I am a huge fan of the reduced fat version. They are one of the few brands where I really can’t tell much difference between the full fat and the reduced fat. Again, when I get a box, I like to portion them out into small ziploc bags and mark the PointsPlus value (usually 3PP) so they are ready to go when I need a snack. I also really like have them with cheese. (Shocker, I know!) My favorite is the Light Queso Fresco & Chipotle Laughing Cow wedges. It makes for a great 5PP snack that holds me over until dinner.
- Popchips - Sometimes a gal just needs a potato chip. Salty and crunchy and oh so delicious. I very rarely have regular potato chips any more and since I discovered Popchips a while back they have become my go-to chip. Popchips are low in points (3PP per serving) and come in a bunch of awesome flavors. My favorites are sweet potato, jalapeno, and chili lime! They totally satisfy me when I’m craving something salty and crunchy but don’t make me feel guilty after I’m done.
So there you have my top 10 snacks for Weight Watchers success. What are YOUR favorite snacks? I’m always looking for new ideas!
Pin this to Pinterest HERE!
Ok, so I hit up Trader Joe’s tonight and picked up some delicious food.
But I forgot one very important item on my list.
Ugh! Last night was bad enough. Now I have another night with no dessert. Not cool.
Luckily I did find these delicious watermelon spears. And thank goodness because they TOTALLY quenched my sweet tooth! It was perfect! I love that I could have watermelon without having an epic battle with a knife.
And ZERO POINTS!!
Ok people. This is life changing.
PEANUT BUTTER HOT CHOCOLATE!!
I saw lowcaloriemolly post a similar recipe yesterday so I thought I would lighten it up!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.
- 1 packet Diet Swiss Miss
- 1 tablespoon PB2
I warmed the almond milk in the microwave at 30 second intervals until it was warm enough. I then added the cocoa and pb2 and mixed it all up with my frother.
This was absolutely amazing! And only 3PP!!