26 posts tagged dessert
Dole Banana Dippers
First, before I chat about this awesome product, I wanted to say a quick thank you for all of the lovely notes and support yesterday! You all are just so wonderful!
Now, on to the topic at hand! A friend of mine told me about these a couple months ago and I have been keeping my eye out for them ever since! I saw them once at a grocery store downtown but I wasn’t going straight home so I didn’t want to buy anything frozen and I haven’t been back to that store since then. Annnnnnyway, my neighborhood Dominick’s finally got them and I’m so glad they did! I’m even more happy that I made the decision to buy two boxes right away!
These Banana Dippers are a really great dessert or snack option. Basically they are just slices of frozen banana that has been dipped in dark chocolate. Nothing fancy but super delicious. The thing that I love most about them is that they are individually packaged. We all know I have a portion control issue so I really love the built in binge protection. I also love that each pack is only 2 PointsPlus! Not bad at all! And they totally satisfied my sweet tooth after dinner.
Word on the street According to the Dole website they also make Banana Dippers with Almonds! I definitely want to try them! The almonds add 1 extra PointsPlus for a total of 3 PointsPlus per package but I think it is probably worth it!
My Top 10 Dessert Items for Weight Watchers Success!
If you know me at all, you know that I love desserts. I wasn’t always this way. My parents never served desserts at home but once I went away to college, I was hooked.
It took a while, but during the last few years I figured out that there are good (for you) desserts and bad (for you) desserts. But have no fear! There is definitely a way to enjoy a delicious dessert that isn’t going to ruin your entire day.
I find that I enjoy something sweet at the end of the day. And recently I discovered something epic. Huge. Massive. Life changing.
Want in on the secret? Ok, I’ll share. Fruit can be a dessert!
Fruits are naturally very sweet. Since eating healthier I realized that fruit can be enough to satisfy my sweet tooth! Color me surprised! So you will see that many of the desserts that I love include fruit. Anyway, let’s get to the list!
- Fresh Fruit - I know I just said it, but fruit really is a sweet, healthy dessert. A great plum or peach is a wonderful way to end the day. And the bonus with Weight Watchers is that it is zero PointsPlus! Perfection!
- Tea - I know I posted about DAVIDsTEA last week, but it really is my new favorite dessert! I have had tea in favor of any other dessert option more times during the past two weeks than I ever have before. Again, zero PointsPlus is a win for me! And I don’t just mean DAVIDsTEA, any decaf tea is a great evening treat.
- Ice Cream - I love ice cream. Who doesn’t?! I don’t think I can be friends with you if you don’t at least likeice cream. Just kidding. Kind of. Moving on! I talked about what specific types of ice cream I like in my Top 10 Grocery Items post. I never buy full fat ice cream and I always buy individual servings to keep my portions in control. Usually my ice cream desserts come in between 2-4 PointsPlus.
- Chocolate Milk - I recently (re)discovered my love of chocolate milk. Well, I drink chocolate almond milk because I’m allergic to milk. I found that if I have one cup of chocolate milk in the evenings it totally satisfies my sweet tooth. It also really fills me up! My favorite brand is the Trader Joe’s Almond Smooth Chocolate Milk and it comes in at 3 PointsPlus per one cup.
- VitaTop - Another low PointsPlus but really filling and sweet dessert option are the VitaTops. They also make a great breakfast or snack item! My favorite dessert VitaTop is the Deep Chocolate Flavor. So yummy! I love to top it with some fat free cool whip (or similar organic brand) mixed with a tablespoon of PB2. Peanut butter + chocolate = the perfect dessert!
- Yogurt with Honey - Greek yogurt with honey is my favorite breakfast, snack or dessert item. I just love it! But really any kind of yogurt that you enjoy would work here. Greek yogurt is just my favorite. And you know those nights where you are done with dinner, low on points but still STARVING? Well Greek yogurt is perfect for those moments. Low in PointsPlus, high in protein and super filling. It is great! Fage 0% is my number one choice.
- Fried Bananas - Sometimes I really just want something decadent. But I don’t want to spend the PointsPlus. That is where “fried” bananas comes in. I discovered this recipe a couple months ago and am hooked! They are easy to make, don’t take too long to cook, and taste amazing. It is hard to believe they are only 3 PointsPlus a serving! And if I was feeling reallllly fancy (and had extra PointsPlus) I would serve them over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. YUM!
- Smoothie - Going back to those nights where you are starving after dinner that I mentioned earlier, a smoothie is a great way to fill you up for low PointsPlus and get in some fruits and/or veggies! I like to add PB2 and dark cocoa powder for a rich and delish dessert smoothie.
- Banana Wontons - This recipe is great if you have some leftover wonton wrappers (like I usually do after Emily Bite’s French Dip Cupcakes!) They are another super easy dessert that tastes really rich and decadent. I always feel like they should be way higher in PointsPlus than they actually are!
- Warm Blueberries - Just like fresh fruit is a great dessert, I also love warming up frozen fruit! I almost always have frozen fruit on hand for smoothies and my favorites are blueberries. I like to take a small bowl, warm them up and top them with cool whip! Super low in PointsPlus and it gets you a serving of fruits. A great way to end the day!
Ok! There you have my favorite dessert options! Again, these are just my personal favorites and opinions. Please feel free to share your favorite desserts in the comments below! I’m always looking for new ideas!
Add this to Pinterest HERE!
Guys. Let’s chat.
So, I have an obsessive personality. Sometimes I get obsessed with things like penny roulette. Or the history of the Titanic. Sometimes its dark chocolate. And sometimes I become obsessed with something awesome….which is what is currently going on in my life.
Hello my name is Alexis, and I am OBSESSED with DAVIDsTEA.
I had read about DAVIDsTEA (and yes, that is how it is spelled by the brand, so that is how I’m going to spell it) in quite a few places for a while now. It kept coming up so much that finally I figured I should check it out. DAVIDsTEA is a shop that sells an amazing variety of teas! Like over 100 different flavors! I had heard how awesome their dessert teas were and knew I needed to try them. And boy, I’m glad I did!
There are only three stores in Chicago (don’t worry, you can also buy them online!) and I tried to visit one of them last weekend only to get there and find out it was closed….bummer! So earlier this week I checked out a different location (the one on Armitage, for all my Chicago folks) after work.
First of all, the people that worked there were fantastic. The girl who helped me was awesome and I feel so bad that I can’t remember her name! Anyway, I told her I was new to the brand and was curious about what was available, mentioning specifically that I was interested in the dessert teas. She was a gem! I think she brought out like 15 different tins of tea, explaining what they were and letting me smell them.
Check out these AWESOME flavors:
- Birthday Cake - It legit tastes like birthday cake. It even has sprinkles in the tea! Check out the picture above.
- Forever Nuts - So yummy! This is their top seller and I can see why. Plus the tea is pink!
- Mint Chocolate Rooibos - I don’t understand how this tea can be so amazing. It tastes so decadent and rich!
- Coconut Oolong - I’m obsessed with all things coconut and this is no exception! YUM!
- Organic Cocoa Canela - This is the one that I received for free and I’m so glad I got the chance to try it! It tastes just like Mexican hot chocolate!
Ok, so I’m sure you are wondering the same thing I was wondering when I heard all about the delish flavors. How many PointsPlus?! And the super exciting wonderful answer? ZERO! Check out their FAQ page if you don’t believe me! Each cup of tea has between 0 and 5 calories! They also have less than 1 gram of sugar in each cup.
I really like that many of them are caffeine free! I love that I can have a cup of tea that tastes like cake for dessert and it won’t keep me up all night. I’ve skipped ice cream desserts three times this week in favor of a cup of tea….that is definitely a win in my book!
I can’t wait to go back to the shop and try more flavors! Yum-tastic! Have you tried DAVIDsTEA? If so, what is your favorite flavor?
Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
I didn’t have any fresh fruit in the house (I desperately need to go grocery shopping!) so I just did plain coconut without any fruit. I also didn’t want to make two servings so I cut the recipe in half.
Here is what I included in my one serving version:
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon organic honey
I then mixed the ingredients together and stored it covered in the refrigerator over night. This morning I stirred it up again and dug in!
The top left picture is of the ingredients before I mixed them together, the bottom left picture is after mixing but before refrigerating, and the right picture was this morning right before I ate it!
And the verdict? Pretty good! You really need to like coconut flavors to enjoy this and I LOVE coconut! I think it definitely needs some fruit to change up the textures a bit. The honey was a great addition as well!
It comes in at 4 PointsPlus for the entire serving! I ate it at 7a this morning with a cup of coffee and two turkey sausage links and am still full three hours later. I would say that is a good sign!
This could also be a great dessert or snack that is really filling but still satisfies a sweet tooth. I will definitely be making this recipe again!
Add this to Pinterest HERE!
A Healthier Dessert Option
I love having something sweet after dinner but try not to have ice cream very often. Yesterday’s Trader Joe’s trip gave me some new inspiration for my sweet tooth.
I saw these GORGEOUS plums and had to get them. Unfortunately they weren’t quite ripe enough yet, but they were still delish. And I also picked up two bags of the amazing coconut flakes that I’m currently obsessed with. Seriously, they are heaven.
The two together made a perfect dessert! Only 2 PointsPlus and one serving of fruit!
Look at me making healthier choices!
“Fried” Honey Bananas
So, earlier this week I saw this recipe floating around Pinterest. I immediately pinned it and knew I needed to try it ASAP. And boy am I glad I did! This yummy dessert it perfection for only 3 PointsPlus! Heck yes!
I made it the other night and it was the perfect weeknight dessert. It was warm and cozy, not to heavy, and easy to put together. From beginning to end, this probably took me 10-15 minutes TOPS.
The only thing I did different was using regular coconut oil instead of the spray (which I don’t have yet, but will be buying ASAP!). I measured out 1 teaspoon and just swished it around in the pan a bit before adding the sliced bananas. You could probably use another type of oil if you don’t keep coconut oil around, but be aware it might change the taste a bit.
The first time I made this the bananas were a bit squishy. So the second time I made it I made a few changes. First, I cut the slices a little bit thicker. And second, I cooked it on low heat instead of medium. Both times the flavor was delish, but the second time looked a lot prettier. (Hence why I didn’t show the pictures from the first time!).
Anyway, I really recommend this and plan on making it a lot! Coconut oil, bananas, honey, water and cinnamon….so simple! This would also be amaaaazing over vanilla ice cream! Obviously that would add more points, but would be good for a special occasion.
And a healthy and delicious dessert! I always forget how much I love blueberries. I can’t wait for summer and all the fresh fruit!
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
I saw THIS recipe over on Skinnytaste yesterday and knew I HAD to make them ASAP! And boy am I glad I did! They were so easy to make and I can’t get over the fact that I was able to make cookies for breakfast! I was able to put together the cookies in the time it took for the oven to preheat and then they cooked for 15 minutes. Can’t beat that!
The original recipe called for 2 bananas, 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal and 1/4 cup crushed walnuts. I am not a walnut fan, but Gina mentioned that substituting mini chocolate chips for the nuts kept the PointsPlus the same. SOLD! And for 1 PointsPlus a piece, I was able to have 5 for breakfast and be super full but not go overboard. I packed 4 up for a snack this afternoon and still have 8 left at home.
You could also make them gluten free with gluten free oats. I’m going to look into making them with slivered almonds or blueberries. Yum!
Seriously, super easy. Go make them right now!
Add this to Pinterest HERE!
Arctic Zero ‘Ice Cream’
I had heard rumblings about Arctic Zero around the internet for a while. I kept an eye out for it at my grocery store but never saw it. Then I finally decided I really wanted to try it and found out they sell it at Whole Foods, so I made a trip one night after work. They had a ton of flavors and I stocked up on three of them: Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cookies & Creme, and Strawberry.
Let’s take a moment to chat about what exactly Arctic Zero is. Per their official website, Arctic Zero is a frozen dessert that contains no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. Check out some of these awesome attributes:
- Less than 150 calories per pint!
- Gluten free
- Fat free
- Suitable for lactose intolerants
- Contains only natural or organic ingredients
- Low glycemic & suitable for Type 2 Diabetics
- 14 grams of whey protein per pint
- 8 grams of fiber per pint
All of these sounded good to me! I really try to avoid “diet foods” that are chock full of chemicals and preservatives. I love that I was able to understand everything in the list of ingredients! No funky words I can’t pronounce!
I also really liked it from a WW point of view. It is SUPER low in points! Now, I’m not one to eat a whole pint of ice cream, but if I did, the entire pint comes out to only 3 PointsPlus! How crazy is that?! A half cup serving is just one point! Heck yes!
So, you are probably wondering about the taste. Because let’s be honest, crappy ice cream just isn’t worth it even if it’s low in points. I have only tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter and the Cookies & Cream, but so far, I like it! It definitely is not a rich creamy full fat ice cream. Obviously. But it 100% satisfied my after dinner sweet tooth. The flavors are super yummy. I had a half a cup and didn’t feel really heavy afterwards. I definitely will be buying this again.
Also, can we take a moment to chat about my super cute ice cream cups?! When we were in Louisiana, Jeremiah and I visited the Libbey Glass outlet in Shreveport. We always go and stock up on glassware for cheap! This time I saw these and fell in love! We picked up two for $2 each…can’t beat that! Plus, I just love dressing up a simple bowl of ice cream…it makes it feel much more decadent. I really wished I had some sprinkles to add on top!
Ok, so I hit up Trader Joe’s tonight and picked up some delicious food.
But I forgot one very important item on my list.
Ugh! Last night was bad enough. Now I have another night with no dessert. Not cool.
Luckily I did find these delicious watermelon spears. And thank goodness because they TOTALLY quenched my sweet tooth! It was perfect! I love that I could have watermelon without having an epic battle with a knife.
And ZERO POINTS!!
Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend! Mine was pretty busy, really fun, and full of food…most of it now so great for me. But oh well!
Saturday I had to work for a bit, but the school was dead quiet so it wasn’t bad. After work, Jeremiah and I went to see a small production of Avenue Q with our friends C and L! You guys, I am in LOVE with Avenue Q. I was lucky enough to see it on Broadway in 2004 with the original cast, right after their Tony win. It was amazing. So my standards were pretty high. And let me tell you, the show we saw on Saturday was fantastic! The cast was full of amazing talent, especially the two leads! Holy amazing voices! If you are in Chicago and looking for something to do between now and the 14th, I highly recommend checking it out HERE! Tickets are only $30!
So after the show, we were all starving. So we headed over to Belmont to Cheesies. Oh. Em. Gee. Remember my post the other day about my love for cheese? Well, put me in a restaurant that specializes in grilled cheese and I will go hog wild. Which is what I did. I had the most amazing grilled cheese I have ever had. I had ‘The Mac’ which has two different types of cheese on it PLUS macaroni and cheese. Yes, I know its not healthy, but I had almost all of my Weeklies saved up, so I used them. I also had sweet potato fries as my side and an order of fried pickles for an appetizer. Again, I didn’t say it was healthy, but oh my word it was amazing. Just look at those pictures??
Gorgeous, right? UGH!
Ok, so, then I proceeded to go into a food coma until Sunday.
Sunday was spent sleeping in, catching up on TV with my husband, cleaning the apartment, doing some laundry, taking a nap, and cooking for friends! I made Kalua Pork in the crockpot so my house smelled amazing all day. I have made this a couple of times before and it is literally the easiest meal ever. Pork shoulder, some salt, and some liquid smoke….pop it in the crockpot for 8 hours in high and voila….pulled pork! We also had some corn on the cob, which was an adventure. See, I have never actually made corn on the cob before. Jeremiah has grilled it in the past but everyone voted for boiled corn this time. Color me nervous! I’m pretty sure I screwed it up and C and L were too nice to tell me!
So C and L are Canadian, so of course we had to celebrate their Thanksgiving! So they brought over some pumpkin pie and I made some pumpkin pie frozen yogurt. Talk about delicious. I used the recipe from Emily Bites and it was so easy and delicious! It may have been pumpkin overload with the pie, but we all agreed you can’t have a pumpkin overload! I’m looking forward to the leftovers tonight!
Ok, I think that is all for now. Sorry for the novel!
Congratulations again to all of the Chicago marathon runners! You all are supremely inspirational to me! I loved reading all your posts about it! I hope you all had a great time in Chicago!
So last night I had dinner out with my girlfriends. We went to a delicious Mexican restaurant out in the suburbs. Knowing weigh in was the following morning, I was very aware of what I was eating. I’m pretty happy with what I had and even splurged on a small cinnamon gelato afterwards!
I had two chicken tacos on corn tortillas with just lettuce and tomato. On the side I had rice and black beans. I did my best to estimate the quantities and I guessed that the meal (minus the gelato) was 20 PP.
Chocolate Banana Wontons!
Well, Jeremiah is gone for 6 days, so there was no need to make 24 chocolate wontons. I mean, I could have made them but there is a very large chance that I would have eaten every. single. one. So I didn’t. Instead, I cut the recipe down to 1/6th. One serving at 5 PP makes for a perfect, easy, DELICIOUS dessert!
I used 1/3 of a banana, one tablespoon of the mini chocolate chips and four wonton wrappers. I didn’t have any powdered sugar so I left that off. I also decided to experiment with two of them. In one wrapper I added 4 mini marshmallows and in one wrapper I sprinkled a little bit of PB2. The verdict? The marshmallows made the wrapper explode and you couldn’t even taste them anyway. The PB2 on the other hand? Perfection! Next time I make these (which will most likely be tonight) I will add a teaspoon of PB2 to the banana/chocolate chip mixture.
Seriously, these were amazing. From start to finish I think it took me 20 minutes to put together and 12 of those minutes were spent sitting on the couch reading while the wontons baked. They felt really decadent, rich and fancy but in reality were healthy and easy to make. I highly recommend them!
Ok, so the pictures look disgusting, but please trust me when I say this grilled banana was ah-mazing! No really, it was rich and gooey yet healthy-ish!
I first saw THIS pin on Pinterest for grilled banana smores. When we got the new grill and I decided I wanted to try it out. Unfortunately, we did not have all of the toppings. In fact, we didn’t have anything BUT the banana! So I got a little creative. I thought about what tastes good with bananas and came up with peanut butter, chocolate and cereal. And the following is what I came up with!
- I took a banana and made a little bed out of tin foil. I wanted to make sure the banana would lay properly and didn’t want it to flop around (that’s what she said!). I then cut it in half longways to make room for the toppings.
- Next, I whipped up one serving of PB2. I made it a little runnier than usual so I could pour it over the banana rather than spread it. I figured it was going to get warm and runny anyway!
- Then came the chocolate syrup. Problem was, I didn’t have any. But I did have some Hershey’s Dark Cocoa Powder! So I concocted a kind of chocolate syrup using 2T cocoa powder, 1.5T water, a splash of almond milk and a couple Splenda packets. I mixed it all together and it works great for a chocolaty syrup to pour over the banana!
- Next, I closed the packet up and popped it onto the grill (at medium low heat) for 7 minutes. I checked it at 5 minutes and it just wasn’t gooey enough.
- While it was grilling I measured out 1PP worth of apple cinnamon cheerios and did my best to crunch them up with a spoon. I got bored and quit because it took so long, so that is why you see some whole ones!
- After 7 minutes was up I put the foil packet on a plate, opened it up and sprinkled on the crumbled cheerios.
- And proceeded to GORGE. I’m surprised I had time to take a picture! What a great way to end the 4th!
PP wise, I wavered between 2-3PP so I rounded up to 3.
Edy’s coconut popsicle! Perfect creamy dessert.